Tuesday, November 25, 2008

speaking of mourning


The last few days have been rough for Cougar fans everywhere. The BYU-Utah game on Saturday was ugly. But, we will survive, we will hold our heads high and we will say (as we have said before), "There's always next year". No matter what happens on game day, we are still proud, true-blue Cougar fans. So, on Sunday, Tom bravely (or stupidly--I'm still trying to figure out which) donned his BYU tie, we sang the Cougar Fight Song, loaded up in our BYU license plate-clad car and drove to church where we endured quite a bit of heckling and trash talking (from the bishop, and in his UofU tie, no less--a huge Ute fan and I sustained the guy!). Apparently, we are deep in enemy territory. Our ward is full of red-blooded Ute fans--I had no idea the apostasy ran so rampant around here. I may have to reconsider some of these friendships...My only consolation with it all is the sweet, sweet memory of Beck to Harline with zero on the clock for the game-winning touchdown on the Hill a couple of years ago. So after the slaughter on Saturday, I will say we're all even. And in the spirit of good sportsmanship, I will say congratulations to the Utes. Now go kick some BCS butt!

By the way, I had to have "the talk" with Elleke the other day. You know the one--it's very serious and can take you by surprise. It went something like this:

Me: "I just want you kids to know that if you ever go to the University of Utah, you'll be kicked out of our family."

Elleke: "But mom, what if you pay for us to go there."

Me: "We will never pay for you to attend that school."

Elleke: "OK."

I think it went very well--very clear and concise, just the way they tell you to. As for the other "talk", I'm not sure I'm even close to ready for that one. Frankly, this one concerned me more and I'm glad it's out of the way. Go Cougs!

3 comments:

Natalie said...

Thank you for this post. The part about "the talk" made me laugh out loud and I really needed that today.

Sher said...

Go UTES!!!

Sher said...

Just kidding, I don't really care. I just like the conflict :)