Saturday, June 28, 2008

for the children





From the title of this post, you may think I'm going to wax eloquent about the plight of the poor, underprivileged, starving children of the world. But I am not. This post is about me. In a swimsuit. A maternity swimsuit.

On Friday, I swallowed my pride, struggled into the one swimsuit that fit me--"fit" being a relative term here--and spent the day waddling around the Roy Aquatic Center with my girls and some of our friends. It's one of our favorite summer destinations and I figured it'd be easier to do it before I had the baby than after. Well, it was easier for me but unfortunate for the hundreds of other people who had to see me. Trying to get full coverage with the sunscreen was a spectacle in and of itself. Further adding to my humiliation was that I was there with my girlfriends, Linda and Casey. Linda is a mom of three and model and looks amazing all the time--and, of course, in a swimsuit looks like she's on a photo shoot. Then there's Casey who just gave birth to her fifth child a couple of months ago and is already a tiny little thing. I just kept telling myself that at least I had a good excuse for looking the way I do. And I tried to make it as fun of a day as possible. It was a perfect summer day, I got to relax and chat with my BFFs and the girls played like crazy which was everything I could ask for.

When we were getting in the car, Ella said, "This has been one of the best days of my life." I'm learning that a big part of being a parent is doing things that we may not necessarily want to do or ever choose to do. But we sacrifice our time or our pride to do them because we know it'll make our kids happy. I may even put on that swimsuit one last time to go back to the pool in the next couple of weeks--you know, for the children.

No comments: