Friday, June 20, 2008

no picture today

I've been thinking a lot about my college days lately. I studied the arts, humanities and literature quite a bit during my time at BYU and loved it. I even went on a Studio Arts Study Abroad program with my sister for a spring term one year where we traveled to NYC, Egypt, Greece, Italy, Switzerland, Holland, France and England visiting the great museums and architectural wonders of Europe. We studied art ranging from the very ancient to the shockingly modern but mostly doodled in our sketchbooks and attempted to watercolor anything close to aesthetically pleasing. Perhaps it was during those travels that I encountered an image that I have been conjuring up on a daily basis during the past few weeks.

What I've been thinking of is those little stone fertility statues that seemed to be extremely popular with ancient civilizations. You know the ones--the squat female figures with exaggerated bellies and breasts. Well, guess what, folks. Those weren't exaggerated. It seems that I am looking at an ancient fertility statue every time I look in the mirror. Yes, it depressing and a little humiliating that I have to go out in public everyday looking the way I do and trying desperately to find something--anything--that'll fit me. But, I keep telling my squat little exaggerated self (and I continue to remind my husband, just in case he fears that this body is here to stay) that this is a temporary situation, that it will be over before I know it (and probably before I'm ready for it to be) and that I am so blessed to be able to conceive, carry and deliver this precious little baby boy. So here's to my huge pregnant body--I'm going to live it up for these last three weeks.

So, like the title says, there will be no picture today. For obvious reasons.

No comments: