Tuesday, June 10, 2008

no offense taken

Sunday dinners are a little hit and miss around here. One week, I may be on the ball enough to have a roast in the crock pot and rolls out rising before I go to church. And the next week, I may be pulling leftovers out of the refrigerator, trying to get anything on the table before the girls need to go to bed. This past Sunday was somewhere in between. I threw together a quick meal of pasta, watermelon and Texas Toast (one of our family's favorites).

Elleke was the last to eat and as she was finishing and as I was cleaning up the dishes and kitchen, she said, "No offense, Mom, but that was the baddest piece of Texas Toast I've ever eaten."

Sadly, I had to agree with her. It tasted pretty gross to me too. How is it possible to mess up Texas Toast, you ask? Well, all you have to do is let some meat juice boil over into the bottom of the oven and then cook the Texas Toast in the smoky mess a few days later. It's that simple. And I guarantee it will ruin the taste of everything you bake, including Texas Toast. Let's just say that despite being a world-class, five-star chef in my own mind, I won't be getting my own cooking show anytime soon.

No comments: