Saturday, August 16, 2008

olympics fever

Are you watching them?

I have taken a break from the John Adams miniseries to watch anytime I can, day or night. And since Tom has been at scout camp all week and I'm somewhat housebound with the new babe, I've been able to watch a lot. The Olympics have been awesome, entertaining and so exciting! I've been especially obsessed with Michael Phelps (along with everyone else in the country)--loved him during the games in Athens, love him even more in Beijing--and just watched him win gold medal #8 tonight. All I can say is wow. He's super-human. I especially loved the race last night (100m butterfly)--what an incredible finish. Amazing.

So, as I've been watching some of the more obscure events--paddling and badminton to name a couple--I've decided that I could make it to the Olympics. I'm not talking in one of the high-profile sports like swimming or beach volleyball. I figure that all I have to do is find a sport that's not really popular here in the States (like the aforementioned two), practice and train for a couple of years, make the team (because no one else is really trying to) and go. I'm not saying I'm going to win a medal, but it would be pretty cool to tell the grandkids that I was an Olympian.

Hey, if Dara Torres can do it at 41, I figure I've got five or six years left to make it happen...

No comments: