Tuesday, July 29, 2008

small successes



Today we're all about celebrating a few small but significant milestones that have happened around our house. Without further ado, here they are:

1. Our garden actually produced vegetables.
What? This is amazing to me. Just a couple of months ago, I buried some tiny seeds in the ground, added a little water and sun and look what's happened! You can see from the picture that the plants have taken on a life of their own and are overtaking their space. We have seen some tomatoes growing, the carrots and beans seem to be going well and I saw for the first time today something that looked like a squash. But it will require some serious investigative work and some major greenery organization to determine what's really going on--that is on our list to do tomorrow. But today, we picked our first yield--two HUGE zucchinis. I'm not sure they'll taste any good but we don't care--it was thrilling just to find them. The girls were so excited and thought it was funny that the big one was about the same size as their baby brother. I predict that we will be eating a lot of veggies in the next couple of months.

2. Ava wore panties all day!
Yes, it's true. We have suddenly--and unexpectedly--made some serious strides on the potty training front in the past couple of days. Yesterday, about halfway through the day, she decided on her own that she wanted to wear panties. Then, this morning, right after she woke up, she wanted to change from her Pull-Up to her underwear. She wore them all day and despite having a couple of accidents, she did the major business (you know what I'm talking about) in the toilet. Hooray! There were a lot of high fives, loud cheering and even a special trip to the store to let her pick out any toy she wanted (despite lots of urging from her big sister to choose a Yasmin Bratz doll, she decided on a Dora outside games set instead). We're hoping this trend continues--just goes to show that if you wait long enough, your children will potty train themselves.

3. I made it through my first post-partum exercise routine.
This morning the girls and I did a short Pilates and yoga workout. Not sure if my body was quite ready for it yet (I was feeling it in places I never thought possible) but I'm glad to be getting back into it. I'm not very patient about getting back into shape this time around--I'm really tired of wearing the baggy sweats and maternity clothes. I just want to be back to normal again. I will have to make it through many more exercise routines if I ever want that to happen.

So those are the small but big things in our lives. Now if we could just get that baby to sleep through the night...

No comments: